Start by making your Finnish mustard. Ideally make it the day before so it has time to cool but it’s not absolutely necessary to do so. Mix together the breadcrumbs and brown sugar then set aside. Now the ham…
Recommended for you…
- Smoked leg of ham – make sure it fits in your oven
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup of Finnish Mustard – click for recipe
- 50 cloves or so
- Large foil tray
- Start by making your Finnish mustard. Ideally make it the day before so it has time to cool but it’s not absolutely necessary to do so.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and brown sugar then set aside.
- Remove the ham from the bag and set it on a large, clean surface.
- With a sharp knife cut a zig zag around the skin near the bone.
- Now the fun begins… with your fingers, get under the skin and start separating the skin from the fat. The idea is to keep as mush fat as possible so take your time with this step.
- Unfortunately the skin can’t be used for crackling so just toss it, but if you want a faultless crackling recipe then click here. It’s my Perfect Pork Crackling tips.
- Place the skinned ham in a large baking container. Use a disposable foil tray, it will make life a little easier for you on the day.
- Using a knife, spread a fairly thick layer of the Finnish Mustard over all of the exposed flesh, making sure you get right under the ham also.
- Press the sugar/breadcrumb mixture all over the mustard.
- Once completely cover with the crumb mixture, decorate the ham with the cloves. You can either go all over the top of the ham with the cloves or just do a ‘ribbon’ of cloves across the top.
- Place in a pre heated 190°C / 375°F oven and cook for about 1 hour. It’s ready when the crust has turned golden brown.